Enjoy the Low Country waters of Beaufort, Hilton Head, and Fripp Island

Monday, February 4, 2013

Guiding in Russia

The Ponoi River Company 
    "To dream anything that you want to dream. That's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything you want to do. That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed." This quote has stuck with me since the very first day that I decided to dedicate my life to fly fishing and becoming a professional fly fishing guide here in the Low Country of Beaufort, SC. The feeling of taking my passion for fishing and watching it evolve into a passion for guiding has become a true reality.
  Being born and raised here in Beaufort is what taught me to love and respect the waters we are surrounded by. Having the history and natural beauty is only a small addition to the incredible fishery we are so very blessed with. The fishery that has not only led to my career starting at 18 years old, but a turning point in my life as a whole. Guiding here has not only become a life style but a true passion for sharing with people from all around how special Beaufort, SC truly is. Being able to guide anglers to a dream fish on the fly is what created this incredible love for sharing the waters I have always called home.
Flood Tide Tailing Redfish 
  Back in September of 2011 I had the opportunity to share this fishery with a very special person by the name of Oliver White. Oliver was a guide for many of years and through out time has progressed to owning his own lodge in the Bahamas called the Abaco Lodge, which is one of the most desirable destinations when it comes to Bonefish! Well I was overly excited to have the opportunity to fish with Oliver because of his background in the industry. The wind was howling which made it impossible to fish from the boat, so I took Oliver to a unique area for tailing redfish on the flood tide that afternoon where we could wade fish and still have a chance of producing his first Beaufort tailing redfish on the fly.
  As we waded through the marsh in search of tailing redfish I was taken away by all of the places Oliver has not only fished, but guided all over the world. It amazed me to hear his stories and experiences of taking his ability as a guide and sharing it with people in other countries. I asked Oliver, "how do you get the opportunity to guide in places like Iceland and Argentina?" Oliver replied, "its all about your ability as a guide and fly fisherman to adapt wherever you are fishing, and being able to provide the best service possible to your clients." Four hours seemed like thirty minutes fishing with Oliver because of all the stories, experiences, and knowledge he shared with me that day.
Tailing Redfish on the Fly 
   Having the opportunity to fish and learn from Oliver White was incredible. It proved to me that even as a fly fishing guide that you can go very far in the industry if you are passionate about what you do, and provide a service like no other. Oliver opened my eyes to a lot of new things and really helped me to understand more about the fly fishing industry that I have not yet experienced myself. It was not only  a great experience being able to guide a person like Oliver but share the fishery we have here with him. A little over a year later I received a message from Oliver White that little did I know would soon take my career to the next level, and provide the opportunity of a lifetime.
   The message was a simple question that asked, "would you be interested in guiding on the Ponoi River in Russia for the summer?" At first I was taken back by the idea so much that I just stared at the computer screen for minutes. The first thing that came to mind was my youngest sister Zelie, who my parents adopted from Kaliningrad, Russia when she was 6 months old. Then the world renowned Atlantic Salmon fishery came to mind very soon after! The opportunity was intriguing even without knowing any details on the idea of guiding in Russia except for the fact that I'd miss out on Cobia season, which is one of the most important seasons here as a guide.
   That night I spent hours researching the Ponoi River and learning more about the fishery. I already knew it was a world renowned Atlantic Salmon fishery but had no idea how truly special this river really is. After hours of research I replied to Oliver and told him that I was more than interested in the opportunity of guiding on the Ponoi River in Russia. After I sent him the message, the idea of leaving my home, family, Bay Street Outfitters, friends, and beloved redfish seemed crazy! At 22 years old my career had been climbing faster than ever with not only charters but a sponsorship with Barrier Island Marine, a new Maverick 18 HPX, and publications including the American Angler Magazine article which was my first national exposure.
The location of The Ponoi River Company
     This new idea of guiding in Russia soon started to take over all my thoughts and completely opened my mind to taking my ability as a fly fishing guide and sharing those skills with people in another country! I passed all my information along to Oliver for him to give to his good friend Matt Breuer who is the manager of operations at the Ponoi River Company. They both recently went to Guyana in search of catching Arapaima on the fly which is the largest fresh water fish, and had never been done! They succeeded and made a film with Costa Del Mar called Jungle Fish.
One of the Arapaima caught on the fly
      A month or so later I received a call from Matt Breuer which led to an hour long conversation about the job opportunity guiding for the Ponoi River Company. Matt is a very experienced angler and has also guided through out the world including Alaska, and Argentina. You could tell by a single phone call that Matt and I had the same passion not only for fly fishing but for guiding. He has dedicated his life to fly fishing which is obvious by his position at the Ponoi River Company and providing his customers with the fullest satisfaction imagined. As our phone conversation came to an end Matt asked for a resume, and the idea of guiding in Russia soon started to become a reality. My first step was to make sure I was not losing what I have created here and after seeing the excitement, and having the full blessings from Tony Royal of Bay Street Outfitters, I then was confident on my decision to guide in Russia.
    Bay Street Outfitters is not only a family to me but my college for fly fishing. I've been on the team at Bay Street for 7 years and became an Orvis Endorsed guide for them at 18 years old. In my years there I learned more than I ever did in actual school! Whether it was all the different fisheries in the world, equipment, understanding of the industry, customer service, teaching casting schools, making friends in the industry, guiding, tying flies, learning knots, return clients, and simply loving where I work. Bay Street was in a lot of ways my home and the place where as a local I could spread the passion for fly fishing. The last 7 years at Bay Street Outfitters created a resume full of professional accomplishments and a list of highly regarded references that were not only customers, but great friends.  After sending Matt my full resume and references, I then waited for his response for the position as an American Guide for the Ponoi River Company.
Matt Breuer on the Ponoi River
The Hover Craft 
      A few weeks later I was at the Charleston Boat Show with Barrier Island Marine and my new Maverick 18 HPX-V when I got the call that would change my life. Matt and I talked for a awhile about things and then I was offered the job as an American Guide for the Ponoi River Company in Russia! It was a feeling I have never felt, a feeling that blows excitement out of the water! Being offered to guide for a world renowned lodge on a world renowned river was not only an honor, but a huge step in my career as a fly fishing guide. I'm currently in the process of getting my Russian work visa completed and many other steps of the process in the next 3 months. I will leave sometime the beginning of May and will be back the beginning of October, just in time for fall fishing here in the low country!
   The Ponoi River is to many the best Atlantic Salmon fishing in the world! Producing not only high numbers of fish but providing a productive fishery through out the 4-5 month season. The Ponoi River Company not only provides a world class fishing experience but also lodging. You fly out of Murmansk, Russia on a two hour helicopter ride to get to the camp which is literally in the middle of an untouched wilderness on the Kola Peninsula. They have everything you could imagine at the camp including full time chefs, kitchen staff, doctor, masseuse, mechanics, electricity, hot water, sauna, gym, Internet, fly shop, and many more necessities when enjoying the ultimate experience while fishing on the Ponoi River.
    The staff of the Ponoi River Company is comprised with highly qualifying people from all over the world that provide and unmatched service. The guide staff also includes some of the most highly qualified guides from all over the world and I'm more than honored to become a part of the unmatched team of staff this season! This experience is something in many ways will not only benefit my career as a guide but will take my life to another level. The excitement I have being able to work, fish, and live with people from all over the world is something that I greatly look forward to. Having the opportunity to learn from the team of guides and share my experience with everyone at the Ponoi River Company is something I can't put to words.
The Ponoi River Company 
      In the last 9 years Russia has been a huge part of my family after adopting my youngest sister and celebrating things like Russian Christmas with my family, and close family friends the Prekops, who also adopted 2 children from Russia. Having a sister from Russia was one of the main things that made me realize how life can work in funny ways. Most people believe in God and some believe in fate, and I can firmly say that I believe in both. My career as a fly fishing guide here in Beaufort, SC for Bay Street Outfitters has led to amazing things and dedicating my life not only to fly fishing, but to sharing that passion with others was my true calling. This new venture to Russia is something I know will create a whole new path in my life and the excitement I have for going down this new path is immense! May can't come fast enough and I look forward to keeping all my family, friends, and co-workers updated on my exciting journey of becoming an American Guide for the Ponoi River Company in Russia.
Atlantic Salmon



Go to the link below to see more about the Ponoi River Company and watch the video on there site to really understand how truly special this place is!

                                                                 www.ponoiriver.com

1 comment:

  1. Great post & awesome pictures come together in your post. Perfect combination.

    Ketchikan Fishing Charters

    ReplyDelete