Enjoy the Low Country waters of Beaufort, Hilton Head, and Fripp Island

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Redfish Pointer

Hudson

     
    Almost 6 months ago I made the decision of getting Lilla my Weimaraner a companion to have when I'm not home. German Shorthaired Pointers have always been a breed I loved, and probably one of the few that could keep up with Lilla's ever lasting energy. The thought of getting another dog had been in the back of my mind as I watched Lilla get older, but I just never had the drive to really look hard for a good German Shorthair breeder. Then one day I was working our fly fishing booth at a weekend event on Brays Island which is a local shooting/ outdoor community here in Beaufort, and thats where the pups caught my eye. The 6 week old German Shorthaired puppy's were absolutely beautiful, and I could not resist holding one. Before I knew it the breeder had my number and was going to give me a call when they were 8 weeks old; I fell in the love with the gorgeous puppy's.
    Soon after I saw the pups the thought of getting one was stuck in my head, and wasn't leaving. There was only two things that were holding me back; the responsibility of having 2 very energetic dogs, and the expensive price of the high end German Shorthairs. Then 2 weeks later when I got the call my heart told me to get one, so I then ended up working out a deal with the breeder, and was off the next day to Myrtle Beach to pick out my new pup! With the help from a good girlfriend, I ended up picking out a handsome, healthy male, which we later decided on naming Hudson. Lilla and Hudson soon became best friends and played non stop, and I knew that I had made the right decision adding another dog to my life.

Landing one of the Fish Hudson Pointed

                                
   Whether I'm at the beach, on the boat, at the sandbar, or fishing, my dogs are usually with me when I'm on the water. Lilla and Hudson both absolutely love the water, but as Hudson got older I could tell he liked the water a little more than Lilla. Even if we weren't in the boat he would roll in mud puddles, jump in the pond at my house, and pretty much find anyway to get soaking wet, which made it quite interesting when it was time to come inside to sleep! Seeing Hudson love the water so much I soon decided to take him wade fishing with me for some tailing redfish on the fly, and thats where the Redfish Pointer started.
     The Fly Fishing adventure started out about 5pm on a Monday afternoon at a short grass flat where we waited for the tide to rush in so we could start looking for some tailing reds. As we walked through the marsh Hudson, now 6 months old, kept pointing at little blue crabs moving around in the mud, which he found out as the day went on there not much fun to play with. Watching him point the blue crabs I then started to wonder if Hudson could point the tailing redfish, which I'd never heard of a dog doing. As time passed the tide got higher and right when it got above my booties I spotted the first fish. Watching the tailing fish move through the spartina grass I looked over to where Hudson was and sure enough he was already in his pointing stance, starring down the tailing redfish.
    The smile that he put on my face watching him point a tailing redfish was incredible, I was a very proud father. Then I gave Hudson the command to stay, made the first cast, and BOOM! Hooked into the redfish, and couldn't believe what just happened. After fighting the fish for about 5 minutes, I gave Hudson the command to go, and sure enough he went jumping through the marsh with joy and curiosity. He was a little confused by the fish at first, but before I knew it he was licking and smelling the redfish all over. As the evening went on we ended up landing 6 tailing redfish on the fly, breaking my previous record, and Hudson pointing 4 of those fish. It was an incredible day of fly fishing with my new German Shorthaired Pointer Hudson, and a fishing experience i will never forget. Watching him patiently wade in the water next to me, looking for tailing reds was a ton of fun, and most of all it was something I've never heard of a German Shorthair Pointer do. Hudson is a great fishing partner, excellent dog, and when people ask me what kind of breed is he I just tell them, "he's a Redfish Pointer!" If your local to Beaufort, SC he will also be in the new Beaufort Lifestyles Magazine.


Hudson with a Tailing Redfsih

   

No comments:

Post a Comment